Wednesday, September 24, 2014

KEE WAH??? YUM!

A funny coincidence. I had come across this packaging design for Kee Wah Mooncakes recently, and within a couple of days someone handed me a mooncake to try. Pretty yummy! They weren't Kee Wah mooncakes, but pretty tasty nonetheless. So, I went back to The Dieline website where I had seen these packaging designs, and, well, here they are.

I didn't know anything about mooncakes before except they are a chinese sweet of some kind.

  • "Mooncake is a Chinese bakery product traditionally eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival. The festival is for lunar worship and moon watching, when mooncakes are regarded as an indispensable delicacy. Mooncakes are offered between friends or on family gatherings while celebrating the festival. The Mid-Autumn Festival is one of the four most important Chinese festivals." (wiki)
I love the concept! I love autumn, moon watching, festivals, and sweets. What's not to like about a mooncake then?

As for the packaging, I absolutely  LOVE the clean, minimal, simple, elegant, and sweet design! (The rabbit is so sweet to me.) The simple line drawing of a rabbit bounding over a hill (snowy or otherwise) with the moon shining brightly in the upper right creates a smooth, magical feeling, which I think is what mooncakes are supposed to be, in a way. Also, the typography is beautiful. I really like how each flavor is in a different colored box, but the design on the boxes are the same except for that. The color schemes are lovely and appetizing, by the way.

Read below the pictures for more information about mooncakes and especially some of the design choices for this repackaging project.





Source: http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2014/8/24/the-custard-mooncake

1 comment:

  1. I really like the packaging for these moon cakes. It's so simple, elegant, and modern and I like how they used a rabbit for the imagery. In Chinese culture, the rabbit is associated with the moon because in mythology, a rabbit is the Moon Goddess' companion and lives in the moon making the elixir of life. But from what I've seen in moon cake packaging, the usual imagery on them are the Four Great Beauties (not really sure why) so it's interesting to me how this one is a rabbit. Do you know what kind of moon cake filling you tried? My favorite is the lotus paste filling, mmmmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete